[Buddha-l] Aung San Suu Kyi and the latest Burmese prosecutions

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed May 20 15:29:22 MDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Ben Carral <info at bcarral.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 20, 2009, 20:21, Richard wrote:
>
> > Zen  is irrational authoritarianism from beginning to
> > end.
>
>    Do you have any reason to believe in that way? Or do
> you expect that we believe you just becasue you say so?

I do have a reason to believe that way, or I wouldn't have said it. I have
no expectations one way or the other about what others will believe. I
assume they can make their own observations and draw their own conclusions
from them.

> > What  makes  Zen  masters masters is nothing more and
> > nothing  less than the fact that there are people who
> > are willing to submit to their power.
>
> I'm  afraid  that  I'm repeating myself.

Why claim to be afraid of something that is under your control? If you were
really afraid of repeating yourself, you wouldn't repeat yourself.

> Do you have
> any  reason  to  believe  in that way? Or do you expect
> that we believe you just becasue you say so?

Let me fearlessly repeat myself. I do have a reason to believe that way, or
I wouldn't have said it. I have no expectations one way or the other about
what others will believe. I assume they can make their own observations and
draw their own conclusions from them.

>  It  would  be  nice  if you provided some reasons to
> your claims.

If I cared to persuade others to see things as I do, I would provide
reasons. Since that is not my aim, however, I simply offer my own
conclusions based on some thirty years of observation and let others judge
to what extent my observations conform to their own.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy