[Buddha-l] Society

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed May 20 15:53:00 MDT 2009

Marx foresaw what he called "commodity fetishism", which in very crude
(but obtuse) terms means that all use value is replaced (in our minds)
by exchange value. George Orwell summed this phenomenon up very nicely
in the preamble to his novel depicting one artist's struggle with
alienation and despair under capitalism, "Keep the Aspidistras Flying":

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not
money, I am become as a sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And
though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries,  and
all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could  remove
mountains, and have not money, I am nothing. And though I
bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to  be
burned, and have not money, it profiteth me nothing. Money suffereth
long, and is kind; money envieth not; money vaunteth not  itself, is not
puffed up, doth not behave unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily
provoked, thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in
iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; beareth all things, believeth  all
things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. . . . And now abideth
faith, hope, money, these three; but the greatest of these is money. "

But as a slavish devotee at the altar of Progress, Marx could not
understand the inherent problems of industrialism qua industrialism, and
thought that everything could be fixed up just right by instituting the
dictatorship of the proletariat.

Curt