[Buddha-l] Aung San Suu Kyi and the latest Burmese prosecutions

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu May 21 11:51:01 MDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:29 PM,  <Kdorje at aol.com> wrote:

> There is a simple solution to your question: let the membership of this
> mailing list decide whether Zen is irrational authoritarianism.

That solution is not only simple, but it is the only one that would
make any sense. Each person must be the judge whether Zen
authoritarianism seems rational or irrational. These subjective
judgments are actionable. Those who find Zen authoritarianism rational
and who themselves prefer irrational authoritarianism will avoid Zen
institutions, as will those who find Zen authoritarianism irrational
and who themselves prefer rational authoritarianism. Those who love
irrational authoritarianism and find Zen irrationally authoritarian
will love Zen, as will those who love rational authoritarianism and
find Zen rationally authoritarian. People, having decided for
themselves according to their personal tastes whether or not to pursue
Zen, will be contented with the practical outcome of their subjective
decisions, and dukkha will be reduced. We can all thank you for having
made a suggestion that will result in making the world a less
miserable place.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy