[Buddha-l] "Soul" and Buddhism

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sun May 24 19:14:13 MDT 2009

Dear Weng Fai,

Popular Buddhism in Thailand use the term vi~n~aan.na (which they
pronounce winyaan) for the non-physical conscious aspect of a being.
Often the usage has little difference with the Hindu sense of the
word, "soul."

The pioint is that just as Confucianism and Daoism has decisively
shaped Chinese Buddhism, Thai Buddhism is very much influenced by
brahminical Hinduism. Much of Thai Buddhism has gone back to the
Buddha's time, but it is mostly on the opposing side all over again.

The anthropologist Stanley Tambiah has written something on "The
Buddhist Spirit Cults of NE Thailand".

With metta,

Piya Tan