[Buddha-l] All is one

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed May 27 14:56:53 MDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Jayarava <jayarava at yahoo.com> wrote:

I confess myself to be suspicious of the "all is one, god is good"
branch of religion.

Rightly so. Given that there are many Ones for all things to be, and
that there are no criteria for deciding which of the many Ones is The
One, I think pluralism is the only sensible stance. (Fortunately,
there are many kinds of pluralism, and no compelling need to choose
from among them. I say embrace them all.)

Not being a floater myself I don't have much personal experience -
although I do take seriously Richard's engagement with Quakerism and
some of the anecdotal evidence that has been presented by him and
others. But I wonder if it means that we westerners are simply
redefining religion to suit our *individualistic* selves?

Is there an alternative? I suppose we could redefine religion to suit
our collective identities? National religions, tribal religions and
various invitations to ignore one's individual physical and
psychological needs to the demands of a collective identity can be
found in abundance. But surely no sensible person would accept such
invitations.

Or maybe that's what we've always done, maybe that's what religion is?

Pretty much. Religion is the willful submission of an individual to
collective, socially sanctioned delusion. (This is not to say that
there may not also be submission to socially sanctioned greed and
hatred, for they are manifestations of delusion.)

Personally I don't think I have the religious genius required to
(re)define a religion. I'm daily (hourly even) reminded that so far my
will has not been a reliable guide to life.

The individual will is undeniably fallible and therefore capable of
leading one astray. But what is the collective will but a multitude of
fallible and misleading individual wills? In the final analysis, there
us no escaping the individual will and its potentials for leading one
deep into the heart of trouble. It is the only game in town.

And while I see value in aspects of other traditions I don't think
they are all saying the same thing.

I have never found a tradition in which I couldn't find a great of
useful material, nor have I ever found one that I could endorse fully.
I surely have never found one that I could embrace to the exclusion of
all others.

William James has probably stated my prevalent attitudes better than
anyone else. His lectures on Pragmatism have provided me with a
serviceable framework in which to fit a good many things that are of
human utility. He also provides a perspective on things that makes it
possible to avoid a great deal of logomachy. (Of course, logomachy is
a jolly good form of harmless recreation, so there is no point in
avoiding it entirely, so long as one never takes oneself, or one's
beliefs, seriously.)

It may be a moot point, but the west generally strikes me as being in
a crisis of faith, confused about values, and ambivalent about virtues
to the point of lauding vice.

Faith itself is the root cause of the moral crisis of modernity. It is
difficult to find anything more pernicious among the many vices of
humanity than faith.

The crisis seems to be fostering fundamentalism on the one hand, and
anything goes on the other.

The crisis also fosters a robust pluralism and a pragmatism that can
be an antidote to both doctrinal rigidity and behavioral recklessness
and irresponsibility.

I would say that anyone who thinks of themselves of both a Buddhist
and a Christian (or whatever) has simply failed to understand either
tradition.

This is much too narrow a perspective, I think, based on a reduction
of both Christianity and Buddhism to a set of propositions to which
one gives assent. But if one sees propositions are instruments useful
to achieve practical goals, they can be something to which one gives
provisional and temporary assent. So if one's personal goal is to be
thoughtful and considerate of others, to operate according to
principles of justice, to have the courage to be of service to others
even when it is inconvenient to oneself, to cultivate love and
benevolence and good will to all, then one can make very good use of
Christianity and Buddhism, Confucianism and Daoism, Judaism and Islam,
atheism and agnosticism, rationalism and empiricism. The utility of
those traditions comes in taking them all as instrumental means rather
than as absolutes or ends in themselves.

Call me cynical, but the only way I can imagine this coming about is
through superficiality and confusion.

Very well, then, you are being cynical. I hereby revoke your warrant
to be cynical. There is nothing superficial or confused about active
mettā or love, or about kindness and compassion. There is
superficiality only if one reduces a tradition to a set of
propositions agreed upon by a gang of desiccated celibate men who have
nothing better to do than to decide for others what it is acceptable
to affirm.

At the level of ethics there is much overlap, but beyond that I just
don't see it.

Ethics---the cultivation of good character---is really the only thing
that matters. Everything else is a distraction.

Some one's bound to take this personally - sorry, put it down to lack
of imagination on my part.

Don't let idiots who take your observations personally off the hook so
easily. If people are offended, it's their own damn fault for being
fools. But that is no excuse for not treating them with love and
compassion. Indeed, their folly is an invitation to cultivate mettā.
They need it. As Philo of Alexandria said, "Be kind, for every you
meet is fighting a great battle." (Maybe it wasn't Philo, but someone
said that, or something like it. Some tweeter on Twitter said it was
Philo. Let's leave it to the bureaucrats to discover who gets the
credit.)

The discussion so far smacks of "baby boomer". My generation didn't
have peace and love, we had the 1980's with all that that implies. Sigh.

Every generation has a sea of ugly toxicity to swim through. No
generation yet has had peace and love as anything more than a fantasy
to strive for. But if a generation ever comes along that sees no point
in striving for peace and love, then it's time to assume a comfortable
fetal position in which you can kiss your ass goodbye.  (Be careful,
though. Kissing donkeys can lead to bestiality if you're not watchful.)

Richard Hayes