[Buddha-l] Meanwhile Down Under

Jampa Tsedroen JampaTsedroen at gmx.de
Wed Nov 4 05:08:56 MST 2009

L.S. Cousins wrote:
> Of course Thai laws are not valid in Australia. And Achaan Brahm's
> monastery has done nothing illegal.
>
> But this is the first suggestion I have heard that Thai law has changed.
> It seems rather improbable. I would be very interested to hear if anyone
> on the list has any evidence on this.
There are four people who come to my mind who should know more about
this. Perhaps somebody can check with them in case they are not on the list:

1. Ven. Bhikkhuni Dhammananda (former Prof.Dr. Chatsumarn Kabilsingh)
2. Prof. Dr. Barend Jan Terwiel
3. Dr. Tomomi Ito
4. Dr. Martin Seeger

It would be interesting to learn whether such a law still exists.
Especially considering that according to the website of the United
Nations all the countries where Buddhism is widespread (including
Thailand) have already ratified the most important documents on human
rights, such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948 and
the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against
Women of 1979.