[Buddha-l] Meanwhile Down Under

Weng-Fai Wong wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sat Nov 7 20:41:25 MST 2009

OPEN LETTER TO ALL FROM AJAHN BRAHM ON THE EXCOMMUNICATION BY WAT PAH PONG

A Theravada Bhikkhuni Ordination was held in Perth on Thursday 22nd
October. The decision to proceed with the Bhikkhuni Ordination was
finalised only on 20^th September 2009, when the Committee of The
Buddhist Society of Western Australia unanimously gave their support. We
did realise this was a sensitive matter and resolved to keep it in-house
for the next month as we finalised the preparations. On Wednesday 13^th
October, 24 days after the decision was finalised, I informed Ajahn
Sumedho in Amaravati, as a matter of courtesy, during my brief visit to
the UK to see my mother (who has severe dementia).

The matter of Bhikkhuni Ordination had been discussed in Wat Pah Pong
about two years ago and, as I recall, they resolved to follow the lead
of the Mahatherasamakom (the supreme Monks’ Council of Thailand). I was
and remain under the impression that the ordination of Bhikkhunis
outside of Thailand was not contravening the rulings of the
Mahatherasamakom. This is because I had consulted with the acting
Sangharaja, Somdej Phra Pootajarn, well beforehand to ask him precisely
his opinion on the ordination of Bhikkhunis outside of Thailand. His
response, which I have circulated amongst the Western Sangha for a long
time now, was "Thai Sangha law does not extend outside of Thailand". He
repeated this another two times to make his intention clear.

Even though my ordination as a monk was in Thailand, I understood that
my obligations were to the Dhamma and Vinaya, not to the Thai state. Nor
was allegiance to Thailand part of the advice given to me by the Acting
Sangharaja who presented me with the Thai ecclesiastical honour of Tan
Chao Khun. The certificate that I received at the ceremony merely states
that “Phra Brahmavamso of Bodhinyana Monastery in Australia is a monk of
/Royal Grade/ with the title of Phra Visuddhisamvarathera. May he accept
the duty in the Buddha’s dispensation of teaching, settling Sangha
business and looking after the monks and novices in his monastery in an
appropriate manner. And to develop happiness and well being in the
Buddha’s Dispensation.”

At the meeting in Wat Pah Pong on Sunday 1st November 2009, to which I
was summoned at very short notice, it was apparent that the senior Thai
monks had a poor understanding of the Vinaya rules concerning
sanghakamma (formal acts of Sangha governance). For example, it took a
long time to convince them that a Bhikkhuni Ordination is a double
sanghakamma.The first part being performed by a gathering of Bhikkhunis
presided over by the Preceptor (“Upajjhaya” or “Pavattini” -Ayya
Tathaaloka from the USA) and the second part where the new Bhikkhunis
approach the Bhikkhu Sangha to have their ordination confirmed by a
ñatticatutthakamma (a formal motion followed by 3 announcements). I was
one of the two Bhikkhus who chanted the ñatticatutthakamma in the
Bhikkhu Sangha.

Once the senior Thai monks understood that I was not the Upajjhaya, they
were willing to let the matter drop, provided I would promise in the
midst of the Sangha not to participate in the ordination of any more
Bhikkhunis. Remembering the example of Venerable Ananda at the First
Council, I made that promise to the assembled Sangha three times. It
looked as if harmony would be restored.

However, some senior monks raised the question of the status of the four
women who had received Bhikkhuni Ordination. I accepted that they would
not be regarded as Bhikkhunis in Thailand under the present climate, but
the ordination was legitimate and they were Bhikkhunis. A senior monk
then claimed that the ordination was invalid because of "ditthi
vipatti", which he explained as meaning without the approval of the
Sangha of Wat Pah Pong. As anyone with a basic knowledge of sanghakamma
knows, this is nonsense. However, that unfounded view held sway and the
meeting came down to a single clear choice: If Ajahn Brahm would state
in the midst of the Sangha that the four women were not Bhikkhunis then
there would be no penalty, otherwise Bodhinyana Buddhist Monastery would
be removed from the list of branch monasteries of Wat Pah Pong. I paused
for a minute to reflect and, considering that I could not go against the
Vinaya and state the Bhikkhunis were not properly ordained, nor could I
go against the wishes of the Sangha of Bodhinyana and the thousands of
lay Buddhists that support the Bhikkhuni Ordination, I refused to recant.

As a result, Bodhinyana Buddhist Monastery was removed as a branch
monastery of Wat Pah Pong. I emphasise that this decision had nothing to
do with the process, secretive or otherwise, through which the
ordination took place. The decision to excommunicate Bodhinyana Buddhist
Monastery rested solely on my refusal to state that the Bhikkhuni
Ordination was invalid.

After the meeting formally concluded I paid my respects to many of the
senior monks who reminded me of their continued friendship. For example,
one old friend said to me "meuan derm" (meaning "just as before"). I
hope that a similar attitude will prevail among all my friends in the
Western Sangha.

With mega metta,

Ajahn Brahm