[Buddha-l] Singing for one's supper

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Nov 18 08:09:10 MST 2009

On Nov 18, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Mike Austin wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I was browsing Access to Insight and found the Kasi Bharadvaja
> Sutta. In
> this sutra, the Buddha referred to food that has somehow been
> associated
> with chanting. There are two apparently quite different
> translations. It
> is not clear to me what the intended meaning is.
>
> In the first translation, it seems that food may have been chanted
> over
> (blessed?) during preparation. In the second translation, it seems
> that
> food might be received as payment for recitation. Can anyone explain?

The verse in question is the following:
Gāthābhigītaṃ me abhojayyeṃ
Sampassataṃ brāhmaṇa nesadhammo
Gāthābhigītaṃ panudanti buddhā
Dhamme satī brāhmaṇa vuttiresā.

According to the Pali Text Society dictionary, this is the only
occurrence in the Pali canon of the phrase "gāthābhigītaṃ" and its
usual interpretation in the commentaries is the second of the two
translations you refer to. The Buddha is saying that that which has
been acquired by chanting verses is not suitable to be eaten by him.
Brahmins make their livelihood by performing rituals that include
chanting verses, but that is not how the Buddha or his disciples make
their livelihood. Put into modern idiom, the idea is that real
men(dicants) don't sing for their supper; they beg.

Please send your donation to my PayPal account. Or send me a singing
telegram.

Richard