[Buddha-l] curious

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Nov 23 16:38:23 MST 2009

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:
> A Dutch Buddhist organisation has recently
> declared everyone who has a Buddha statue in his house to be a Buddhist.
> We're expecting them to start handing out free Buddha statues if ever
> they need  a higher number of followers.

In Europe the precedent is for people to be automatically assigned to a
religion in just such an arbitrary manner. By default it is whichever of
flavor of Christianity happens to be the officially established state
Church.

Christianity forbids any form of idolatry, therefore it stands to reason
that anyone in possession of a Buddha idol is not a Christian, but
rather a Buddhist. This is far more logical than assuming a person's
religion merely by the hapenstance of what country you were born in.

In fact why not just get it over with and declare that all beings with
Buddhanature are Buddhists? Only those who can provide documented
evidence of their status as icchantikas will be exempt from paying the
Temple Tax.

Curt