[Buddha-l] bodhi

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Nov 24 22:51:48 MST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 4:35 AM, Curt Steinmetz wrote:

> OK - this is really getting out of hand. Both "awakening" and
> "enlightenment" are highly dualistic metaphors with nearly identical
> semantic ranges in the English language.  And both are used as terms
> for
> historical periods. What exactly is it that is getting people so
> worked up?

So far, the only evidence of anyone being worked up is the message
quoted above. The question on the floor is straightforward enough. Why
is it that a word that in Sanskrit means "awakening" is routinely
translated into English as "enlightenment"? And why does the
mistranslation persist, even though it has been pointed out repeatedly
by scholars that there is a more accurate translation available? Being
curious enough to ask such a question is not a sign of derangement,
nor is providing a speculation or two in response.

Here's something else to be curious about? Since "buddha' means
"awakened," why is it not translated as "vigilant"? Is there any
reason why people are skittish about referring to the Buddha and his
Sangha as the Vigilante and his Posse?

May I indulge in one final curiosity for this morning? Let me
initially address this little question to Dr. Steinmetz with the
understanding that others are invited to chip in, letting the chips
fall where they may. What difference does it make that the metaphors
in question are "highly dualistic"? (A side issue: does dualism come
in degrees? Could a metaphor be moderately dualistic or just barely
dualistic?) Buddhism is shot through with dualism. At every turn,
contrasts are made between positive and negative conditions, things to
seek and other things to avoid. If Buddhism were not dualistic, it
would be pointless. No, make that highly pointless. No, I raise that
further: it would be totally pointless.

Richard