[Buddha-l] bodhi

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 08:56:18 MST 2009

Hi Dan,

Nice to read you again and that the Punch and Judy shows with Richard
are still going strong.

I found my quote from Lamotte's introduction to his translaton of the
Vimalikirtinirdesa and then picked up the first english translation I
ran into.

Yes there is light all over the place and all along. Before "Buddha's
buddhism", during and after it and inside and outside Persia.  The
absence of light in "Buddha's Buddhism" would be surprising. In that
case one would expect a volontary decision on the part of Buddha's
Buddhists to not let the light into their Buddhism. I don't see any good
reasons they could have had to not let the light in that was shining
anywhere else.

Light is coming from outside and shining inwards. We all receive light
and many, even all, other things. Some call it grace :-) One could even
call it Other Power :-). My power (thinking of it already makes me
giggle) is almost non-existing compared to "Other Power". "For who makes
you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not
receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did
not?" 1 Corinthians 4:7 A very nice and simple way of describing
upaadaana (appropriation). I have dropped the ideal of a self-made man
and an island or an autonomously running and fuelless awakening machine
long ago. So light, grace, the faculty to awaken, you name it, any thing
received is not mine. Does awakening happen? Is it produced through our
effort? Is it received?

I don't know whether this would be a negative or a positive approach?
Anyway, both the neagtive and the positive approaches are approaches
towards something else. I have to admit I do feel sympathetic towards
them pudgalavaadins that you refer to in your answer to Chris. I
recently discovered that the person who is at the basis of the Mahamudra
system of Tibetan Buddhism was ordained in the Sammatiiya order. So it
seems pudgalavaada is not dead.

I was very happy to read your and Richard's articles in Buddhist
Philosophy (Edelglass and Garfield). I also discovered Pojo Chinul
thanks to the book and Buswell's short book on Chinul. Great stuff.

Joy