[Buddha-l] a worthwhile read--Red Pine (BIll Porter) interviewed

Elvin Eldridge elvineldridge at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 01:33:55 MDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 11:28 AM, JKirkpatrick <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:

> http://www.tricycle.com/interview/the-chinese-hermit-tradition-an
> -interview-with-red-pine

I read the scholars review of Bill Porters book "Two Entrances and Four
Practices" (I can't find a reference now, but I remember the point),

The review said the two entrances were called liru and xingru. Liru should
have the meaning of "enterance by principle" and xingnu should have the
meaning of "entrance by practice". And the first one means a kind of sudden
enlightenment entrance and the second one means a kind of gradual practice.
But Porter tanslated liru as "entry by rationality," which the reviewer said
is a complete misunderstanding. And since liru is the most basic idea in the
book it means that Porter basicallly didnt understand the book at all, and
so we can't trust his translation.

But I think that from the practitioners viewpoint maybe we shouldnt worry so
much about these kinds of details and just accept all the translations as
they are without criticizing.

Elvin