[Buddha-l] legitimizing unwed mothers in S Korea

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 8 15:36:45 MDT 2009

Figures vary according to who is tabulating, and the criteria of
tabulation -- hence my caveat.

Some alternate figures:

"About half the population of Korea is Buddhist. Most Koreans, even though
they may not call themselves Buddhists, maintain a Buddhist view of life and
the afterworld."
http://www.buddhismtoday.com/english/world/country/027-korea.htm

The figures you quote are from the PEW forum
http://pewforum.org/world-affairs/countries/?CountryID=194

We've debated the veracity of those figures on this list before (check the
list archives)

Some understand the 23% figure to represent "self-proclaimed" Buddhists
(hence, notice the additional caveat in the Buddhismtoday statement).

Some indeed consider Buddhism virtually an eclipsed religion in Korea today:
A blog, speaking of the celebration of Buddha's b'day, states:

"With only 20% of the Korean population being Buddhists, sometimes this
celebration goes unnoticed by the wider population."
http://www.transparent.com/korean/tag/buddhist-birthday/

Some put the number of Buddhists at 40%
http://www.fact-archive.com/encyclopedia/Korean_Buddhism

The website of the Jogye Order (formerly Choegye) more optimistically
announces:

"According to 2003 statistics released by the government, 53.9 percent of
the Korean population claimed religious affiliation, with Buddhism,
Protestantism or Catholicism accounting for 97.5 percent of believers. Of
these, about 12 million, or about 47 percent were Buddhist. Currently there
are 25 Buddhist orders belonging to the Association of Korean Buddhist
Orders, among which the Jogye Order is the largest."
http://www.koreanbuddhism.net/jokb/content_view.asp?cat_seq=27&content_seq=197&page=1

Deciphered that would mean that 47% of the 53.9% of the population who
profess religious belief are Buddhist, or roughly a quarter of the
population as a whole.

Not being a census taker myself, I have no way to adjudicate the
disparities. So let's be vague and say that somewhere between a fifth to
half of the Korean population is Buddhist, give or take a few percentage
points. How's that?

Dan