[Buddha-l] Fwd: H-NET BOOK REVIEW>Edelglass and Garfield, eds., Buddhist Philosophy: Essential Readings

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Oct 17 23:14:12 MDT 2009

On Oct 18, 2009, at 3:58 AM, Jim Peavler wrote:

> Also, some moderator let kinda a long one through the length filter.
> Not self interest I hope!

The posting to which you refer broke just about every rule in the
book. It was much too long, and it was forwarded from another
discussion group, when a simple link would have sufficed. And it was
actually about Buddhism, as opposed to Malaysian politics or
irrigation ditches in rural Laos. The moderator should be fired for
falling asleep at the wheel.

Well, in the moderator's defense, let me point out that it could have
been worse. The message might have been sent in HTML, making it at
least three times as bulky. And it could have been appended as a reply
to another very long message or, better yet, an entire daily digest.

Incidentally, I am using the Edelglass and Garfield reader in a
seminar over here in Leiden. The people attending the seminar seem to
be liking it so far. Many of the people attending the seminar are well
into adulthood, and some may be nearing retirement age, so they are
considerably more mature and better educated than the average student
in a typical college class back in the new country. Besides, they are
actually doing the reading. And they can all spell properly and
construct grammatically correct English sentences, of course, since
they are Dutch. In short, I still do not have a clear idea what it
might be like to use the reader at a state university in some place
like, say, Albuquerque or Las Cruces.

I have been hoping to see a roadrunner running along a canal, but so
far have only seen ducks, mergansers, geese, swans, herons and cranes.

moderately yours,
Richard