[Buddha-l] new sarvaastivaada

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 21 02:11:18 MDT 2009

JKirkpatrick schreef:
> Physicists have come up with a new version of the sarvaastivaada
> philosophy of time.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/science/space/13lhc.html?pagewa
> nted=1&_r=1&th&emc=th
>
> erik
>
> I read the article, Erik. I don't understand it at all. How about
> an explanation and also how this relates to the sarvaastivaada
> philosophy of time--which I know nothing about either. I bet
> others on the list also are in the dark.
> Please???
>
> Joanna

The idea is that the Sarvaastivaada conception of time sees past,
present and future objects all as existing in a certain way. An object
existing in the future looses its charactaristic of being future when it
becomes actual. The science article about the Higgs particle is about
the idea that it can influence it's being discovered from the future.
But this means that it has to exist in a certain way. Mickey Mouse
cannot cause anything, not from the future nor from the past. So the
Sarvaastivaadin conception of time is presupposed in the article.
I do not claim to understand the article BTW, nor do I think the
scientists necessarily do. Their analyses is based on mathematical
formulas which you can apply without understanding in the sense of
Verstehen.

erik