[Buddha-l] Sanskrit vs Middle Indic

chong go sunim chonggo98 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 19:44:44 MDT 2009

Thanks Curt,
  I really appreciate all the great information.
  You might be interested in knowing that Maria Reis Habito, now at the Museum of World Religions, has also published some great papers in English about the "Great Compassion Dharani."

  In Korea we have a separate recitation version of "The Thousand Hands Sutra" that is built around the "Great Compassion Dharani". It's recited every morning and noon in temples throughout Korea. Some of the parts fore and aft of the Dharani are taken straight from the original sutra, some are poetic summations of parts of the sutra, while the rest of the sections come from other sutras.
  Robert Buswell published a translation of this in his "The Zen Monastic Experience", but so far there's been no research on this in English. There actually hasn't been much in Korean, either. Ho Sung Kim of Dongguk University has done some great research into the recitation version of The Thousand Hands Sutra, but he's about the only one.
Thanks again!

with palms together,
Chong Go