[Buddha-l] MS preparation and Adobe

Chris Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed Sep 23 22:05:30 MDT 2009

Mitchell Ginsberg wrote:

> Hello all at Buddha-L,
>
> I have a pdf file of a MS that I am planning to offer for publication. I have a technical question about that process. In the past it was simple, if I remember correctly, to print to file or to print to pdf format. Not so now. At least for me here.
>
> I would like to modify a pdf file in its size. I can print at (for example) 115% onto paper with no problem (at any other enlargment within certain limits of paper and printer, of course). But I want to create a second pdf file as an enlargment of the original.
>
> I have actually been able to do this, but my notes do not let me repeat the process.

A simple way if you have Acrobat,  define a paper custom paper size that
is what you want achieve, set that paper as the current default and
"print" your original file to a new pdf "scaled to fit" that paper size.

I do this with Tibetan texts which I usually set at a size I can print
on a laser printer - although when they are finally published they will
  be printed at a larger size.

> Once the original pdf file is opened with Adobe Acrobat, a first change is File, Page Setup, Scale. I change that to 115%. Now, there are other settings that must be changed in order to be able to produce a new pdf file. I believe one of them is File, Properties, Advanced, No Page Scaling. And that when at the stage of setting up the parameters for printing, the printer is to be Adobe Acrobat 9.0 (rather than default or All printers).
>
> I was told by Adobe technicians (it was not too difficult as I am used to listening to an Indic accent) that (a) it is easy, just order the new version of the program, (b) that it is easy, just save as a pdf file rather than trying to print to a pdf file, (c) that it is easy but it requires Adobe Photoshop, (d) that it is easy but there is no way to control the resultant size, and (d) it is quite impossible at all, even in the most Professional of versions of any Adobe products. These were all replies from Adobe Technical Assistance.
>
> Now, since I somehow was on a roll one day and could print a new pdf file at 106%, 110%, 115%, 120%, and 125%, I know it can be done.
>
> Would anyone else out there have familiarity with how to do this? Someone told me that a publisher would be able to take a pdf file and make any enlargment changes without any help from me. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Any decent printer or publisher should be able to do this - in fact it
is probably best to leave it to them since they may have to slightly
adjust the size to accommodate things like layout on the actual paper
size they use, trimming, extra margins required for binding and so on.

Just make it very clear to them you want the final print to be about
116% the size of your original PDF and get them to show you a proof at
that size before they actually print the book.

- Chris