[Buddha-l] nytimes review of pbs The Buddha

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Apr 7 10:23:29 MDT 2010

JKirkpatrick wrote:
> I'll watch the film, but with the expectation that so far there's
> never been a film about a religious (spiritual? universal
> message?) figure that was any good. Perhaps it can't be done.
> Better perhaps to pay heed to the movies about our gurus in our
> minds andin the texts, rather than on the magic screen?

I watched Ile Aiye last weekend. In theory it is a "documentary" about
Candomble (the Afro-Caribbean religion of Brazil -- kissing cousin of
Santeria and Voudou), but it is a very different kind of documentary. I
loved it. It is visually and musically dazzling. It's probably good to
have some knowledge of Candomble beforehand, though, because it is not
exactly the kind of "documentary" that concerns itself with providing
explanations.

Coincidentally, Ile Aiye was also originally a PBS documentary. It first
aired over 20 years ago!

Curt