[Buddha-l] nytimes review of pbs The Buddha

Timothy Smith smith at wheelwrightassoc.com
Thu Apr 8 10:00:44 MDT 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 8:11 AM, Richard Hayes wrote:
> You bet (as we are wont to see here in the southwestern part of the disunited states). And thank you for reminding me of why I can't wait to retire from academia and the culture of incessant negativity and dissatisfaction that resounds in the ivory tower. What gives me sukha is gratitude that I don't have to live in a mind that can praise nothing and has no idea what muditā feels like.

LOL.  Yeah, I was thinking about yesterday's comments as I watched it last night with my wife, whose only exposure to Buddhism is through my 'practice'.
She found it useful, saying it filled in some gaps in her knowledge while presenting the story in an engaging way.  I found the commentary to be sometimes
less than illuminating and sometimes right on, and agree with Richard that Epstein's remarks were quite good.

I particularly liked the way, on several occasions, the burden of awakening was placed squarely on the individual's shoulders.  The emphasis on the development
of equanimity resonated for me, as it is the key area where I struggle.  I just can't come to accept (fill in the right-wing blank) easily.  On the other hand,
the fact that I did not get to La Choza on my recent visit to Santa Fe didn't bother me as much as I thought it would

Timothy Smith
831.624.8138
www.wheelwrightassoc.com