[Buddha-l] on not-dwelling mind (Dan Lusthaus)

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 11:16:49 MDT 2010

Hello Dan and all,
Thank you for the info and links. I've checked out the links you supply and have requested the Makransky book from the univ. library. Should have it in a few days ... meanwhile ...
My main question was about the phrase xin1 wu2 suo3 zhi4. I have seen this cited in Soothill (since I wrote my question yesterday) but am wondering where it occurs in early texts. I also suspect it may be in Takuan Soho's Fudochishummyoroku, but am not sure. Should the phrase (xin wu suo zhi) be read as a noun phrase, as a sentence, or possibly as either? I've seen Suozhi in "translations" of Chinese texts online. Is that just because Google doesn't know how to translate it really, or is that supposed to be a recognized phrase (meaning ....)?
I had written earlier:
There is a Chinese (and Japanese) term in Rinzai Zen ... It reads ... (Chinese, simpler: xin wu suo zhi) or ... (Japanese, simpler: shin mu shoju). I take it that this term is inspired by a passage in the Diamond Sutra, 10c (in its Chinese rendering). What would be the source/earliest source of this term in the Chan literature? I understand it to be a naming of the mind that does not dwell, is not fixed in position, referring to the mind (heart) that is flowing, not supported/grounded aprati.s.tha / aprati.s.thita. Thank you for all insights (and other comments!)
Mitchell
Homepage (updated April 4, 2010): http://jinavamsa.com
See also http://jinavamsa.com/mentalhealth.html