[Buddha-l] on not-dwelling mind (Dan Lusthaus) (Joy Vriens)

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 12:45:30 MDT 2010

Hello Joy and Dan and all,

On looking at the passages (names of works, translators, and terms in Chinese) from Dan's email, I have come to see what all of the ?s are replacing (re the Sanskrit titles and authors), but not for the few given Chinese characters. Where there are 4 ?s, I take that this is the phrase in question, xīn wú suǒ zhù = xin1 wu2 suo3 zhu4. The other sequences with different numbers of question marks, I cannot determine. Any translitered version as in the preceding sentence would be greatly apprecaiated.

I am enjoying the Klaus-Dieter Mathes article, thank you for sending the link to that, Joy. The text of Maitriipa (versus "mi tripa"), which I do not interpret to mean part of a soup I was once served in Chiangmai, with rubbery slabs of intestine wall that I could not break down by much chewing nor swallow) and his disciple Raamapaala could raise issues of the relationship between the concept in Chinese and esp. that in Skt. texts about aprati.s.tha and non-abiding consciousness, not being mentally engaged, being free of mental fabrications / ni.sprapa~nca, and not reifying. I remember writing about this in The Inner Palace, but these are texts that are new to me. So thank you very much.

Are these interconnected concepts of particular interest to any others here?
Mitchell
Homepage (updated April 4, 2010): http://jinavamsa.com
See also http://jinavamsa.com/mentalhealth.html