[Buddha-l] FW: H-ASIA: Buddhist inspired violence in Asia -further readings (response)

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Tue Apr 20 08:27:47 MDT 2010

Someone kindly sent me a pdf of the article, which I started
reading late last night--too tired to finish reading it then, but
already I was getting the drift that you speak of.

Joanna

Barry Sautman is quite literally an apologist for the Chinese
government on the Tibet issue. In my opinion this puts him in the
same ethical category as holocaust deniers, Osama Bin Laden, Dick
Cheney, and, well, the Chinese government.

"Barry Sautman, Associate Professor of Social Science at the Hong
Kong University of Science and Technology, spoke at UCLA December
2 to defend the thesis that claims of cultural repression against
Tibetans by the Han Chinese are greatly exaggerated by Tibetan
exiles in India and by the liberal Western press. His talk was
met with some skepticism from discussant Nancy Levine
(Anthropology, UCLA) and by some members of the audience, but he
presented a wide range of data to support his view. The talk was
sponsored by the Center for Chinese Studies."

More here:
http://www.international.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=2732

Curt Steinmetz

JKirkpatrick wrote:

> X-posted source (H-Asia) --does anyone have a copy of Sautman's

> article they could convert to a pdf and send to me?
> Hoping,
> Joanna
>

> Buddhist inspired violence in Asia -further readings(response)
> From: Charlene Makley <makleyc at reed.edu>
>
> Hi all, see also this most recent article. Sure to be
controversial.