[Buddha-l] Shameless plagiarism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Apr 20 14:13:23 MDT 2010

Dear denizens of buddha-l,

The moderators over on our colleague-list H-BUDDHISM recently posted an appeal to their subscribers that was so nicely worded that I thought I'd copy it and post it here. What the moderators of H-BUDDHISM say to their subscribers is exactly what the moderators of BUDDHA-L would like to say to ours.

\begin{plagiarized text}
Dear Colleagues,

We'd like to express our appreciation to those list members who are
taking just a few seconds to edit their posts before forwarding them
to H-Buddhism.

Since H-Buddhism is an archived mail list, leaving the remnants of
prior posts in the bottom of your responses to the list creates
unnecessary and problematic duplication in the case of archive
searches. It also sometimes creates confusion regarding the content
and object of the response.

Therefore, we greatly appreciate it if, after hitting the "reply"
button, you take a moment to edit your message. If there is pertinent
information from the prior post that you would like to cite, please
move it up in the message so that it appears *before* your own
response. Unless you are explicitly referencing the remaining material
(e.g., as appended posting information, such as an announcement),
please delete it. In this way, your signature should be the last piece
of information in the message.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The List Editors
\end{plagiarized text}