[Buddha-l] As Swami goes, so goes the nation?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Apr 21 11:06:04 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 12:38 -0400, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Spoken as one who really can't tell the difference between parikalpita and
> parinispanna. Thanks for illustrating the point.

As far as I can tell from the way you use the terms, parikalpita applies
to those who imagine that terrorism is not a core value of Islam, that
the government of Israel has made some mistakes over the years, that
there have been injustices in the treatment of Palestinians and that it
is hypocritical of the United States to demand that Iran abandon its
pursuit of a nuclear weapons without making similar demands on Israel
and without dismantling its own nuclear arsenal. And parinispanna
pertains to those who thing Geert Wilders is the most insightful
political figure in Europe, because he sees things as they truly are
(yathābhūtam). I don't mind being told I misunderstand Yogācāra if I do
not see it in those terms.

--
Richard