[Buddha-l] seeking a history of the origins of karma, reincarnation, samsara

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 21 16:56:59 MDT 2010

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend a good historical analysis in English about the origins of the doctrines of karma, reincarnation, and samsara in India? Not exclusively (or necessarily) focusing on Buddhism. I gather that the history of these concepts is known only in fragments, but I'll take what I can get.

I'd be glad to know of books treating any one of these topics in depth, too.

Incidentally, this question's inspired by my reading of Richard Gombrich's engaging /How Buddhism Began/.

Thanks so much!

Barnaby

More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path
leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly. -- Woody Allen