[Buddha-l] seeking a history of the origins of karma, reincarnation, samsara

Macleod, Nik Nik.Macleod at proquest.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 07:56:48 MDT 2010

> On Apr 21, 2010, at 4:56 PM, Barnaby Thieme wrote:
>
> Can anyone recommend a good historical analysis in English about
> the origins of the doctrines of karma, reincarnation, and samsara
> in India? Not exclusively (or necessarily) focusing on Buddhism.

If you can find it, this is a helpful and not too voluminous survey:

Johannes Bronkhorst
Karma and teleology : a problem and its solutions in Indian philosophy
Studia philologica Buddhica. Monograph series ; 15
Tokyo : International Institute for Buddhist Studies of the
International College for Advanced Buddhist Studies, 2000.

On Halbfass [sic - I can't decide if Richard's _Halfass_ is a typo
or deliberate] I am a little surprised that his book on karma and
rebirth in Indian thought has not been translated into English.
There does seem to be a Spanish version though ...

Best regards
Nik Macleod