[Buddha-l] Query on authority of Buddhist texts on sexuality

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Apr 22 13:40:01 MDT 2010

Seems to me you'd need to be careful about assuming a single
viewpoint on these issues for Buddhism as a whole, because there
are many versions of Buddhism and so many texts as well.
And then there are the age-old contradictions between textual
rules and actual behavior.

There's the Pali Vinaya where you can check up on textual rules
and regs, and the stories that justify them, for monks.

Have you looked at John Stevens, _Lust for Enlightenment :
Buddhism and Sex_1990?

Your suggestion about Buddhism being less fundo on matters of sex
than the Abrahamic religions strikes me as probably right (I'd
like to think so, anyway).  Just think of all those Japanese Zen
monk literary figures who didn't bother about vows of chastity,
assuming they took them (which I doubt).

Just my 2 cents.....
Joanna