[Buddha-l] MMK 25.09 (was: as Swami goes...)

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 16:58:55 MDT 2010

Thanks again to Erik for the backstory to his translation attempt, which
helped prompt Richard Nance to weigh in, and to Richard N. whose own effort
finally prompted Richard H. to offer his opinion. Thank you one and all.

Richard Nance wrote:

>> "The state of coming and going which is dependent or conditioned:
>> That, neither dependent nor conditioned, is taught to be nirvāṇa."

To which Richard Hayes added:

> That is very close to how I interpret the Sanskrit. The only further
> thing I would point out is that the compound ending in -bhāva is one
> formed with the pratyaya cvi. So I would render the compound something
> like "the process of making something come and go". Substitute that for
> Richard's "state of coming and going" and you have my translation.

That would yield:

"The process of making something come and go which is dependent or
conditioned:
That, neither dependent nor conditioned, is taught to be nirvāṇa."

Yes? (Reader alert: Put on those gloves Richard H. warned you about -- may
be stuff to wade through in what follows.)

Richard N. confirms that the "ya X so Y" structure provides "a standard
relative-correlative construction -- i.e., that what is characterized by the
qualifiers in the first line is indeed characterized by the qualifiers in
the second (no need for the "therefore")."

The main difference between the two Richards seems to focus on "what is
characterized by the qualifiers in the first line." Is it a process that
makes things come and go? Or the state (condition) itself? All agree, it
seems, that bhāva is "what is characterized by the qualifiers" -- but how to
understand bhāva here? A bhāva without upādāya or pratītya is taught to be
nirvana? Nirvana bereft of qualities (gunas), so a nirguna nirvana? Could
one and the same bhāva intelligently be the locus for upādāya or pratītya
AND be a locus for their absence? Would Nagarjuna condone such
substantialism? Richard N. asked why I found the passage conceptually
difficult. Here we have the beginning of the problem.

That we might, in our laziness or misguided dravya-guna thinking, typically
let such statements go as if they were intelligible is precisely the sort of
thing Nagarjuna repeatedly brings to our attention as a serious problem that
camoflagues the svabhavic thinking undergirding our usual thinking. So how
could he endorse this statement here. Or does he?

I take it that the two Richards are content to accept "dependent" and
"conditioned" as adequate equivalents for upādāya or pratītya, respectively.
Richard N. used "state" as a place-marker for bhāva without commitment to
the semantic and conceptual baggage that might entail, and, as noted,
Richard H. draws on an interpretation of the implications of the compound
ājavaṃ-javī-bhāva to treat bhāva not only as a process, but a causative
agent as well.

Richard N. also asks why I find the Tibetan possibly smoothing over the
problems. Perhaps it doesn't. Jay Garfield's translation of the Tib. reads:

That which comes and goes
Is Dependent and changing
That, when it is not dependent and changing
Is taught to be nirvana.

The bhāva has disappeared behind indicative pronouns. Garfield's version
does indicate that the opposing predicates -- "dependent and changing" vs.
"when *it is* not dependent and changing" -- are predicated of the same
"it."

Rather than further unpack, let me quickly provide the translations I happen
to have on hand at the moment:

That state which is the rushing in and out [of existence] when dependent or
conditioned--
This [state], when not dependent or not conditioned, is seen to be nirvana.
(Frederick Streng)

The status of the birth-death cycle is due to existential grasping (of the
skandhas) and relational condition (of the being). That which is
non-grasping and non-relational is taught to be nirvana.
(Kenneth Inada) [before you dismiss this as off-base, see below]

Whatever is of the nature of coming and going that occurs contingently or
dependently. Freedom is, therefore, indicated as being non-contingent and
independent.
(David Kalupahana)

That state of moving restlessly to and fro [samsara] is grasping and
dependent.
But nirvana is taught as without grasping and without dependence.
(Nancy McCagney)

That which, taken as causal or dependent, is the process of being born and
passing on, is, taken non-causally and beyond all dependence, declared to be
nirvana.
(Mervyn Sprung)

So now we know where contributers peeked (or great minds think alike).

Without reviewing the strength and errors of each one by one -- and leaving
aside for now the soundness of the proposed equivalents for the key terms
used by each -- we note in passing that McCagney has entirely lost both the
bhāva and the "ya-X so-Y" structure, giving only a simplistic contrast.
Kalupahana appears to lose it, but replaces it with a "therefore". Sprung
alone sees "process" as does Richard H. The seemingly strange one is
Inada's. That's because he is translation the Chinese version, not directly
from the Sanskrit.

The Kumarajiva translation, which became the standard in E. Asia, reads as
follows, including the surrounding commentary Kumarajiva included,
attributed to "Blue Eyes" (i.e., Frank Sinatra, though more often
Sanskritized as Pingala), VERY literally translated.
---
Q: If Nirvana is neither existent nor non-existent, what is Nirvana?

A: [One] cycles through birth and death,
because of holding causes and conditions;
not holding causes and conditions
is called nirvana.

Because of not truly understanding [i.e., not having yathābhūta-parijñāna]
one's cognitive-reversals (viparyāsa, "cognitive perversions"), this causes
the holding of the five skandhas (pañca-skandha-upādāna) which come and go
through life and death.

Because of truly understanding one's cognitive-reversals, then one does not
again cause the holding of the five skandhas which come and go through life
and death. Lacking the nature [to appropriate] the five skandhas, [one]
doesn't again [engender] a causal series; this is called nirvana.
---

Like Erik, Kumarajiva took the upādāya = 受. Putting aside its more
prominent uses in other Buddhist contexts, Monier-Williams gives this for
upādāya: "having received or acquired; receiving, acquiring." That is
literally what Kumarajiva's 受 shou means (I rendered it as "holding" above,
because he is clearly referring to the pañca-skanda-upādāna , the five
appropriational aggregates).

One can also see where Inada's reading came from. Notice also the "coming
and going" are given clear Buddhological meaning (which, e.g., Streng
inserted in square brackets in his rendering -- somewhat).

Is this just an accidental case of Erik and Kumarajiva taking the same
detour off the turnpike? Kumarajiva's translation was done around 403 CE or
so. Sometime between 1027-1030 CE, i.e., 600 years later, another
translation of MMK into Chinese was done by Weijing and Dharmarakṣa, which
includes Sthiramati's commentary. It reads:
---
Next, a verse says:

An existent entity having life and death
is an existent marked by going and coming;
Because of not grasping the cause of that,
That is called nirvana.

Explanation: Because of their grasping, hence one figuratively
differentiates beings as existent living-things. All this is samvrti, not
paramartha-satya.
---

This version uses 有體 (you ti) for bhāva. Ti is one of the equivalents for
svabhāva (abbreviated form of ziti 自體, self-essence, in-itself, etc.).
This is a very strong way of saying "existent entity."

Like Kumarajiva, this version also agrees with Erik in reading upādāya as
equivalent to upādāna. It uses 取 (qu) for upādāya. Qu is typically used for
grāha and upādāna terms, so that, e.g., grāhya-grāhaka (grasped and grasper)
is suo-qu neng-qu 所取 能取.

Finally, Candrakirti treats the entire verse as encapsulating the misguided
drsti of some wrong-headed Buddhists, hence he encourages us to read it as a
non sequitur. In other words, the juxtaposition of incommensurate properties
is not accidental or something to be smoothed away, but something
intentionally designed to highlight the incoherency of standard Buddhist
doctrine. And it is certainly no accident that it all revolves around bhāva
(which tends to hide and disappear even in some modern translations!).

Ok, it's safe to remove your gloves.

Dan