[Buddha-l] MMK 25.09 (was: as Swami goes...)

Jim Anderson jimanderson.on at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 09:48:48 MDT 2010

Dear readers of this discussion,

I would like to contribute the following translation which is very
different from all the translations I've seen so far and this one may
even be out of whack with Nagarjuna's ideas.

> ya ājavaṃjavībhāva upādāya pratītya vā |
> so 'pratītyānupādāya nirvāṇam upadiśyate || MMK_25,09

That which has the nature of going (ceasing) -- derived from or
      dependent on coming (arising),
Not dependent on nor derived from nirvāṇa -- is pointed out
      (or taught).

This translation is based on taking "ājavaṃjavībhāva" as two words
"ājavaṃ javībhāva" with "ājavaṃ" as the accusative object of the two
absolutives on the first line. Likewise, "nirvāṇam" is the object of
the two absolutives on the second line.

If "ājavaṃjavībhāva" is really just one word, then all four
absolutives would have "nirvāṇam" as their object.

Best wishes,
Jim Anderson