[Buddha-l] Dharmapala, redux

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Tue Aug 3 04:11:24 MDT 2010

With apologies to all who may be growing tired of the topic, I have yet
another question on the role of violence in Buddhism.

Joanna gave us links to some very interesting materials, the article by Holt
on protector deities in Sri Lanka  (Vishnu? Really?)
<http://www.shin-ibs.edu/academics/_pwj/three.nine.php>
 and the book by DeCaroli, Robert. _Haunting the Buddha: Indian Popular
Religions and the Formation of Buddhism_. OUP, 2004 which fortunately my
library has in electronic format (though I have only read a bit past the first
chapter.)   My question here has again more than one part.  Sorry.

First:  The appearance of protector spirits (to use the most convenient word)
I do not find that surprising. Any religion that spreads has to take into
account the local traditions, and recruiting the local divinities just makes
sense. The Romans were rather good at this, trying to find equivalencies
between their pantheon and that of conquered peoples, until they ran up
against monotheists (but that is an entirely different discussion).  So all
the protectors of Buddhism, from Vajrapani to Hachiman, can be seen in this
light, but the question of whether their protection entailed actual violence
is, as we have seen, up for grabs.

DiCaroli looks at the idea that Buddhism provided protection from local
spirits, some of whom were malevolent. I guess this also could be a selling
point for a new religion.  But it does pose problems for the relation of
Buddhism to indigenious cults.
> By setting up a dialectic between the monastic community and the
> spirit-deities, this position runs the risk of viewing the samgha as
> clever manipulators playing the public for the sake of greater donations. I
> believe that such a view greatly oversimplifies the process and fails to
> recognize that the monks and nuns themselves were participants in the
> culture that surrounded them. (DeCaroli, p. 10)
This goes back to our earlier discussion of whether such entities were
believed to be actual by Buddhists, or if they were just playing on the
sensibilities of earlier religions.

But it does bear, I think, on the larger question of violence in Buddhism.
And this cuts two ways.  First, how is is that Buddhism provides protection
against malevolent spirits (the "evil-eye" in some other cultures), and how do
the converted spirits provide protection for the Dharma?

Now my question is the first, but being a modern atheist, and an idealist
though more of a materialist idealist than a spiritualist, I don't see how
this works.  I fear I am not being clear, but it is not the first time.

So to start again.  It is obvious what benefits the sangha can get from royal
or governmental patronage. At least in terms of material benefits.   I would
take the spirit protectors to be a metaphor for this, it is more about
politics.   But what benefit does Buddhism offer to a secular regime?  What is
the political correlary to a tamed malevolent spirit?

What I am really after here is an ideal of the political that Buddhism offers
to the secular ruler in exchange for the protection of the Dharma.  We have
seen in the   Mahavamsa the appropriation of Buddhism, and possibly relics of
the Buddha himself, in order to ensure military victory.  Much the same can be
said of Nichiren in Japan, with the repulsion of the Mongol invasion (and
earlier, with Shotoku).  But are these political claims, or magical?  I am not
sure that there is much in the original teachings that provides a basis for
the efficacy of the Dharma in defending a nation.  You can see where this is
going.

Of course, maybe I do not see where this is going. Yes, there is a tradition
of protectors of the Dharma who certainly appear to be violent, and yes, there
is a tradition of Buddhists sanctioning violence by their patrons, but I do
not see how this works doctrinally.  More in line with the teachings of the
Buddha are the suggestions of the socially engaged Buddhists, where a
government that seeks to eliminate suffering is the goal.  But this is a
recent development, and some might say by western Buddhists.

A final confession, I have read Batchelor's _Confessions of a Buddhist
Atheist_ after reading _Buddhist Warfare_, and the contrast has been
interesting, especially as regards certain controversies in the Tibetan
tradition.  But it reinforces my question here, how does Buddhism protect a
nation?  Or, indeed, does it?

Yeah, I need to rethink and rephrase all this.  But any comments are
appreciated.

--
James Andy Stroble, PhD
Lecturer in Philosophy