[Buddha-l] Capitalisation of Buddhist Terms

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 9 05:42:33 MST 2010

Sorry Dan, but I fail to see any clarity in the current American customs
of capitalisation. In the Dutch language we only have one rule:
capitalize only proper names. So'the Buddha' would be wrong because the
word 'the' indicates there are more buddhas, and this time a specific
one is intended. 'Buddha' is ok if the writer thinks this is the guy's
name. The capitalisation of 'I' is BTW curious to say the least.
It seems to me that the capitalisation in religious texts is more a sign
of respect. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'shift' key of keyboards of
religious people is wearing out sooner than those of atheïsts.

erik