[Buddha-l] Something nice for a change...

andy stroble at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 4 00:55:43 MST 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 18:26:07 Franz Metcalf wrote:
> Andy,
>
> > C'mon, you were warned!  And it's not like finding out about
> > dharmakaya, or
> > that nirvana really is empty.
>
> Whoa, what do you *mean* "finding out... nirvana really is empty"?
> That's like a typo, right?
>
> Oh, I get it; you're making a joke. Ha ha. You almost got me. You're
> spoofing on that situation when someone has told a kid there's no
> tooth fairy and the kid cries and some other kid says, "C'mon, it's
> not like finding out there's no Santa Claus."
>
> But of course it's not like that, so, yes, ha ha, very funny. Funny,
> yes. You *were* trying to be funny, I know. Ha ha. Yes.
>
> Ha ha.
>
> Ha.

> (whimper)
>
> Franz

Franz,  I am sorry.  It is just that I am still recovering from Dan
insinuating that I was one of those non-Buddhist substantialists.   And yes,
there really is a Santa Claus, but his real name is Cerenos,  Keeper of the
Deer.
And anyway, we are off on to the question of the tetralemma, though I don't
think anyone has mentioned it yet.  Is it the "both is and is not"  that  will
be the problem, or the "neither is nor not"?  I think nirvana belongs to the
last one, with the tooth fairy.

--
James Andy Stroble, PhD
Lecturer in Philosophy