[Buddha-l] The three samadhis

lemmett at talk21.com lemmett at talk21.com
Sun Oct 3 05:56:47 MDT 2010

A very mysterious concept for me.

Does anyone see a similarity between the three samadhis as described in the mo-ho chih-kuan

"In the first of these contemplations one does away with all the various mundane features of existence, perceiving neither an inner nor an outer - this is called the samadhi of emptiness. In the next contemplation one is able to destroy the mark of emptiness - this is called the samadhi of marklessness. In the final contemplation, one does not even perceive a doer - this is the samadhi of actionlessness"

and Dazhu's "tripartite structure of realization"?

"1 externally, not to be defiled by forms, sounds, and so on, while internally not to give rise to a mind [filled with] false thoughts. when one is like that it is called realization. 2 When one attains realization, not to give rise to the thought of realization is called no-realization. 3 When one attains this no realization, also not to give rise to the thought of no realization, that is called the absence of no realization".

That may seem innocent enough but Poceski adds:

"At this second stage... the practitioner >>forsakes<< dwelling in the state of non attachment perfected at the previous stage and abandons the subtle form of spiritual clinging to the state of non discrimination and non attachment... While at this stage... there is still a subtle sense of self awareness, as the practitioner is >>aware of himself as someone who has relinquished all attachment<<... Dazhu... goes on to add that the realization of their >>emptiness<< should not be accompanied by self centered awareness... it should do so with no attachment to purity and without thinking 'Now my mind is resting in a state of purity'. According to him, the appropriate response is the attainment of non abiding mind..."

For me it seems a very close parallel, if the first stage of non attachment or discrimination involves realizing emptiness.

Perhaps this is (though I am not sure) just a tripartite structure that they have in common: which I suppose at least goes to show how confused I am by the three samadhis.

While I have anyone's attention, may I ask about the relation between zen and tendai? Why does tenadi have such a small presence in the west?

Kind thanks,

Luke