[Buddha-l] Gods Who Forget They Are Gods

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Oct 7 11:45:15 MDT 2010

Since Indradevta figures in Buddhist literature, I thought this
folktale bit might provide a little humor (purloined from another
list but not proprietary):

There is a legend about Indra who becomes a pig and forgets who
he really is. Missing Indra, the gods look for him everywhere -
and finally find him rolling in filth, in bliss. They plead with
him to return but he insists that he is a pig!

The sender said, I could not find the source for this story, but
I've heard it many times, as an example of the power of maya,
forgetting one's true nature, etc.

Cheers,
Joanna