[Buddha-l] Brahmi Script

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Tue Oct 26 18:30:53 MDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com
[mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of James A
Stroble
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:44 PM
To: Buddhist discussion forum
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Brahmi Script

On Tuesday 26 October 2010 11:19:34 JKirkpatrick wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> I guess you didn't see my shorty reply that said after reading
Dan's
> remarks I realised that the 'Buddha & Brahmi script' was a pipe
dream.
> What led me down that speculative primrose path was Batchelor
> suggesting that Gotama had been educated, even at the
university in
> Gandhara. It seemed to me rather incredible, but I've not seen
any
> scholarly comment on Batchelor's assertion. Did you read that
bit in
> his latest book? Or, anyone?
>
> More cheers,
> Joanna
> ------------------

If I recall, the alleged university was not in Gandhara, but
somewhere around the Indus, and did seem to be speculation on
Batchelor's part.  But then, I also read Pyrrhonism  this past
summer, so I could have gotten used to it.
--

James Andy Stroble
University of Hawai'i, Leeward Community College

It was the famous institution at Takshashila, or Taxila. Wasn't
that in the Gandhara area?

Joanna