[Buddha-l] JBE has a fancy new website

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Sep 2 16:44:17 MDT 2010

This reminds me of some of the first lectures I ever heard on
Buddhism when I was in graduate school in the early 1970s.
Leonard Priestley was seriously pursuing Madhyamaka and
Pyrrhonism and pointed out so many similarities that I became
convinced the two systems had a great affinity. In my first book,
the one that is too expensive for anyone to buy, I tried to argue
that Dignaga was pursuing Nāgārjuna's skeptical leads and that
both D and N could best be seen as skeptics. Although I'm
skeptical of all my own claims, I still have not been convinced
that this line of pursuit was wrong.

Kuzminski's book was discussed here when it first came out, as I
recall.
My only quibble is with the word "reinvented". It is not at all
clear whether the Greeks or the Indians were earlier in their
excitement about learning how not to get excited by all the
prejudices one has acquired and elevated to the dubious stature
of justified beliefs. A case can be made for parallel discoveries
of very similar principles, so that no one was reinventing was
someone else had preinvented.

--
Richard P. Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu>
University of New Mexico

I don't recall that this book was discussed here but then it came
out 2 years ago. I do recall discussions now and then on thi list
about Greek parallels to Buddhism, or not.  Or maybe that was on
a different list.

JK