[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Fri Sep 3 20:18:47 MDT 2010

 On Behalf Of Franz Metcalf
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 5:01 PM

Joanna et al.,

That was a creepy forward, for sure (for a reminder see
<http://www.coregp.org/  >). I see this effort by the British
government as part and parcel of the commodification of
healthcare. It's anti-human to me, as it de- centers the human
relationship of therapist and client. But the reduction of the
patient into organs and systems and so on is plainly not limited
to psychotherapy. In fact, it sounds a bit Buddhist!

Franz
_______________
Thanks, Frantz, for your response. I agree--anti-human to the
core.
Thing is, the early Buddhists were not selling anything--unless I
got it all wrong!

What bothers me is that up 'til now I've been rooting for some
kind of NHS in this country.
No more, after reading those protest materials and the claim that
451 rules governing therapy sessions were on the way.
I dislike having to admit that I, along with people whose
political and religious views I don't share, see the potential
for extreme government abuse of the delivery of health and
therapeutic human services a la the HPC in UK.
What happened in UK, and has also happened according to friends
of mine who often visit for extended stays in France and Germany,
is that these countries are so totally bureaucratised that
individuals can't do anything without interference from the
bureaucracies and their minions, together with piles of paper,
fees, etc.
If the tea baggers think big government is a problem here, let
them spend some time in UK or Europe.
It begins to appear to me that political liberalism has been
corrupted by government even
in those places where we thought that progressive health care was
functioning.

Joanna