[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 4 19:39:13 MDT 2010

> ____________
> You keep referring to this apparently bowdlerised Zarathustra
> text. So how did you see it? How do you know what's in it?
> Is the uncensored edition still available?
>
> JK

it was eagerly anticipated by some of us when the announcements of its
imminent release first appeared. The price tag of $100 or so -- very unusual
at that time -- was off putting, and certainly not in concert with
Bollingen's policy with all the other Jung volumes it publishes.

How did I come to see it, hot off the press? At the time I was doing a great
deal of work on Nietzsche and the interpretations of him by Heidegger and
Derrida. Heidegger's four volume treatment of Nietzsche -- also composed
during the early Nazi era with unmistakable Nazi overtones -- was just
beginning to appear (one volume was released).

Jung's Zarathustra lectures came out with a price only libraries and devoted
individuals could afford. So I never owned a copy, but I read the entire
work shortly after its release. Some of it -- minus the introduction I
mentioned and many other "troubling" sections -- is available on google
books (or it was last time I checked). Eventually Bollingen came out with an
affordable paperback edition that happily expurgates everything that would
be relevant for the current discussion -- and more. To read it today one has
to either have access to a good research library or an effective
interlibrary loan dept.

Happy hunting.

Dan