[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology research

Bruce G. Seidner brucegseidner at mac.com
Sun Sep 5 10:53:01 MDT 2010

I fear I am in too much contact with the dodos and would love the names of people you find interesting.

I enjoy the offerings from MIT press but I tend to focus on ways to point out what is junk science rather than what is exciting and cutting edge. For instance William Uttal's (2001)The New Phrenology and the recent MacArthur Law and Neuroscience Project directed by Sandra Day OConnor and Michael Gazzaniga have likely jaded me too much. So I am guilty as charged. After a decent nights sleep I find myself much less argumentative and grandiose. I would love if you shared a few books or people you enjoy. The short list, at your convenience.

Bruce

On Sunday09 5, , at 5:44 AM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Some mappers may be
> dodos, but the cutting edge folks are aware of the shortcomings, keep
> pushing the technological envelop, and are developing anything but a
> simplistic model of what is located where -- lots of interactions. But it
> often starts by simply noting that when people have thought-type-X or
> emotion-type-Y, regions Q,Z, and M light up like Xmas trees. Why, and how
> that correlates comes next. R&D doesn't usually have immediate applications
> in the trenches -- that takes awhile -- but the important research
> eventually does provide useful materials for praxis.

Bruce

Bruce G. Seidner, Ph.D.
Clinical & Forensic Psychology
5401 Kingston Pike
Suite 400
Knoxville, TN 37919

865-588-4232 office
865-588-4231 fax
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.