[Buddha-l] Buddhism and Psychology becomes unfalsifiable

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Mon Sep 6 16:53:45 MDT 2010

Hi Joanna --
Thanks for the response.

The question is: IS THERE REPRESSED MATERIAL at all?
And, if there is, IS it what the therapist believes?
Who can tell if the therapist is correct, except the therapist?

Freud (or the therapist) was the only one who knew or who could know --
so the patient had no way to disagree with the therapist, or the
therapist's diagnosis. There was no way to show the therapist was mistaken.

Your remark assumes that Freud was correct, that the person had
genuinely repressed stuff, and the omniscient Freud had divined this.

My understanding is that the claim that we repress stuff we find painful
is not borne out by contemporary non-Freudian therapists.

The claim seems to be unfalsifiable.
Bob