[Buddha-l] Earthquake

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Sep 16 09:34:25 MDT 2010

I, for one, am just hoping that this thread doesn't end up with
turtles all the way down :)

Joanna
_____________________________

Isn't it always a question of context? In terms of "science", or
at least of knowledge of the physical world, this stands up
rather poorly compared with our modern understanding.

But if this more or less mechanical explanation is the first,
what are the others? (I am sure there are plenty of people on the
list who know.) Does the context contrast this explanation with
plate tectonics, the movement of magma, and so on? Or does the
context mean that the explanation is saying "for this dramatic
mechanical event, first look at mechanical courses like earth,
water and so on - only bring in the wrath of the gods, karma, or
any other mysterious cause as secondary possibilities"?

It does seem to me to be a little risky to set this paragraph
over against our modern understanding, without first setting it
over and against the other aspects of its original context.

AW

That everybody should stick to his own field of expertise.
Apparently the Buddha had no clue as where he was talking about.

erik