[Buddha-l] The Shimano Problem

joy_gmail joy.vriens at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 02:01:15 MDT 2010

Hi Franz,

> 1) The sheer immaturity they're manifesting is breathtaking. Either
> they're resisting the transformation that long hours of meditation
> should be impressing on them or, in the belief that they're fully
> realized, or enlightened, they think that they're beyond the effects
> of bad karma on their future as souls.
>
> 2) It goes without saying that these problems are all but
> nonexistent in woman-led sanghas and zendos.

  Who is this Wellen fellow that he should judge teachers' "spiritual
immaturity" and know the inner secrets of woman-led sanghas? Does he
have the Buddha-eye? Is he just finishing his ethnographically based
dissertation on female led dharma centers? Or is he just a journalist
who likes a good tag line?

I somehow can't take this subject seriously. We are talking about adults, right? One hardly ever hears anything about the immaturity or the achilles-heel of tennis teachers or golf teachers. It seems to me that the whole issue is one of projections and illusions. I also don't find the immaturity of people projecting whatever they are projecting onto Dharma "teachers" breathtaking either. It's the common lot of any silverback in a group. The achilles-heel of students/worshippers/groupies apparently (Wellen) is to want to sleep with their gurus/teachers/masters. That's naturel, it is in their bono bono genes. That teachers believe they are teachers, students believe they are students, and that students and teachers believe that the other is a teacher and a student is an illusion.

To give someone silverback status is one's own decision. Wanting to have special attention from that silverback is natural for any animal that wants to belong to a group. One could call such behaviour immature, but there is no point in calling names.  "Mature" teachers and students (apart from considering themselves teacher and student) are the ones that resist the temptation or are not disappointed after the experience and don't make a fuss about it.

As for women-led sanghas, I know one where the female lama gives the male members of the group very special attention. But none of the males ever complains about it and they wouldn't call it a problem.

Joy