[Buddha-l] Unpopular Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 23 15:07:37 MDT 2010

In a message dated 9/23/2010 2:29:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Jackhat1 at aol.com writes:

Thanks  for the article reference. I read it in the following way. "True
Buddhism" as  the Buddha taught is different than the Buddhism sullied by
cultural  accumulations, need for consolation and turned into an institutional
religion.  This latter Buddhism is what Westerners have trouble with because
it does  require "denial of one's cultural upbringing" and  irrationality.

==
A friend of mine who is a Deacon in the Catholic Church recently returned
from Japan where he visited several Buddhist temples. He said from a
distance  the service looked just like the ones he led back home. For instance, the
 Buddhist priest had a long feather he used to bless the congregation as he
 walked up and down the aisles. It has interested me lately how religions
vary from their roots over time and add various rites and rituals little
different from other denominations. Can you refer me to some books and
articles  that describe this?

Here is an interesting bit about self deception:
_http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_shermer_the_pattern_behind_self_deception.html_
(http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_shermer_the_pattern_behind_self_deception.html)

jack