[Buddha-l] Looking for an article/paper

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 24 09:39:29 MDT 2010

  On 9/24/10 11:23 AM, JKirkpatrick wrote:

> Did Williams ever publish about his decision to convert to Roman
> Catholcism?
> Could he have originally been a Catholic or form a Catholic
> family?
>
> Joanna K.

Williams wrote a book about it, titled "The Unexpected Way." He was born
nominally COE, although he says "as I recall our immediate family was
not particularly religious."

Here are two interesting reviews/responses:

A Catholic appreciation:
http://marymagdalen.blogspot.com/2006/10/buddhist-becomes-catholic.html

A Buddhist response:
http://www.dharmalife.com/issue19/comment.html

The book itself:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Yi0oi8C1nQgC

It would be interesting to analyze, side-by-side, Paul Williams' and
Stephen Batchelor's retrospective accounts of their adventures in
Buddhism prior to turning to Catholicism and Atheism, respectively.
There's got to be at least a good Master's thesis in that.

Curt