[Buddha-l] What makes a Buddhist?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 24 14:41:57 MDT 2010

  The credal argument has a serious problem. First of all, the Mother of
all Creeds is the Nicene one, but that was adopted not to define
Christianity as opposed to other religions, but in order to be used
against other Christians! Christianity is not a religion defined by a
single creed, but one of its defining characteristics is the propensity
of its adherents to kill one another over credal differences.

As far as who is and who is not a Buddhist goes, my default position is
that people are free to self-identify as Buddhists and what business is
that of mine? But Batchelor goes out of his way to attack 99.9% of
Buddhists and Buddhism and to declare himself against and outside of
what most Buddhists have always believed and done throughout the history
of Buddhism. I consider this to be an exceptional case, and one that
Batchelor himself forces.

Curt