[Buddha-l] Unpopular Buddhism

David Living aryacitta at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 25 16:54:23 MDT 2010

The Triratna Buddhist Community's Centre in East London / Bethnal Green (ex FWBO)
had a few difficult moments with the local community when it was being renovated
from an old disused Fire Station in the 1970s. One such moment was when we attracted
the attentions of 2 Japanese Nicherin Buddhist monks. I may be wrong but I think they
were floating the idea of building a Peace Pagoda / Stupa on the roof. They used to
walk down Roman Road right up to the front door banging their drums and chanting the
Namo Ho Rengye Kyo mantra.

At that time there were many ex Second World War soldiers living in East London
who had been interned in Japanese prisoner of war camps and they were not impressed!

<Vijayatara wrote:

<The development of the Triratna Buddhist Community's centre in East London,
<UK was initially opposed by members of far-Right groups and this opposition
<ceased when the Buddhists were found to be white and middle-class.  On the
<other hand, Buddhism in the West is increasingly seen as 'tolerant' and
<associated with being white, 'peaceful' and respectable (e.g. celebrity
<Buddhists such as Richard Gere).