[Buddha-l] Jhanas in Mahayana & Tibetan

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 29 00:14:58 MDT 2010

  Brad,

This is surprising. As far as I know, the term arūpa(j)jhāna is found
only once in a doubtful location in the Pali Canon. It is quite common
in the Pali commentaries but I do not know the equivalent in surviving
Sanskrit texts. Does anyone ?

In the Canon we find the four arūpa samāpatti and also the āruppā with
or without vimokkhā. These terms continue in use and their equivalents
are used in Sanskrit.

Lance