[Buddha-l] Jhanas in Mahayana & Tibetan

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 05:26:46 MDT 2010

Hi,

Corrections:

> I had also read that while Siddhattha was a child, he already attained
to the 4th jhana. I would appreciate if someone could point out the source for
me.:)<

I have found the source, but it the first jhana.

"I thought: 'I recall once, when my father the Sakyan was working, and I was
sitting in the cool shade of a rose-apple tree, then — quite secluded from
sensuality, secluded from unskillful mental qualities — I entered & remained in
the first jhana" (Maha Saccaka Sutta, MN 36)

-------

The two books mentioned are Tibetan sources, primarily from the Gelugpa. I
wonder if the jhanas (either the four jhanas, with or without the immaterial
attainments) are mentioned and described in Indian Mahayana schools and East
Asian Buddhism (sources from China, Japan, Korea etc.)

Thanks a lot,
Rahula