[Buddha-l] Jhanas in Mahayana & Tibetan

Carol McQuire kelsang_shraddha at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 29 18:39:34 MDT 2010

Hi Federico,

Yes, the 'better than the lover' wasn't meant to have those connotations

but in effect, it did. Both long term deputy spiritual directors (ordained monks)

of the NKT were found to be having relationships with nuns whilst in office.

Interestingly, the timing of both sets of anti-Dalai Lama demonstrations were

when these cases of sexual misconduct became public (through the internet)

and the intensity of the demos 'covered up' the power vacuum and the

sound of any awkward questions that could be asked.

The NKT has done a pretty good job of hiding all this - there is a team

of volunteers called 'Kadampa Communications' whose 'other' occupation

is resisting criticism on the web. There are roughly 15 webpages and

blogs maintained by them (apart from the 'main' websites) using site

names almost identical to the critical sites so as to diffuse the efforts of

any websearcher. Survivors, also trying to make a new life outside the

group, can't compete.

Even a certain illustrious academic research group has not been able

to publish valid criticism.

Extraordinary that the power of the media has enabled this NRM

to throttle most open debate in this most secular of societies!

Carol