[Buddha-l] buddhisness

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 11 07:40:44 MDT 2011

Denizens,

there are strange things happening in the Low Countries. Some new
Buddhists in the Netherlands who are in some kind of commercial trade,
think they can enhance their success by (ab)using Buddhist words and
concepts. See f.i.
http://www.boeddhisness.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=133:show-your-true-colour&catid=49:in-company-en-maatwerk-trajecten&Itemid=69
and http://www.karmanomics.com/index1.php .
  At the moment there's a discussion going on on the subject. The new
commercial Buddhists claim that it is OK to mix Buddhism and business
because it is a way to penetrate the field of capital with spiritual
values. The opponents claim that the only reason why Buddha himself
doesn't turn around and around in his grave is that he has been
cremated. My argument that this practice is very unusual in traditional
Buddhist countries has not made much weight because people feel free to
do as they please thinking they are inventing Buddhism anew.
I personally think these people make a fool of themselves, but worse is
that it may corrupt the reputation of Buddhism in general.
My question is: do any of you remember cases like this and reactions of
Buddhist teachers?

erik